“Look at the stars, look how they shine for you; and everything you do, yeah they were all yellow.”
While Australian winters aren’t quite as dark, wet and grey as those faced by the northern hemisphere, it’s still nice to inject a splash of warmth and sunshine into your life when it’s cold outside.
If, like me, yellow isn’t a colour you can pull off in clothing, why not go for a splash of the golden hue in homewares, accessories or killer pair of heels.
Here are 17 ways to put a little sunshine into your life.
1. Freedom Astrid Chair in Dexter Zest $399 | 2. OPI nail polish in ‘I Just Can’t Cope-Acabana’ | 3. Kish and Evie Crosses cotton hand dyed scarf $52 | 4. Fuji Instax Mini 8 Camera $99 | 5. Dolce & Gabbana pointed toe pumps $891.28 | 6. Country Road Danita Cushion $39.95 | 7. Ella Pineapple Jar $29.95 | 8. Kikki K Happiness Journal $39.95 | 9. Wheel & Barrow 350ml mug $5.95 | 10. Fresh tulips | 11. Kate Spade New York Lemon Coin Purse $87 | 12. Urban Igloo Design sunny yellow Moroccan ottoman cover $199.99 | 13. Retrojan Craig Cabinet $249 (was $599) | 14. Urban Road Oh Deer canvas print $120 | 15. Mimco Hitch Cable Beanie $59.95 | 16. Arlington Milne Coco Clutch in yellow snake $95 | 17. Veuve Clicquot Brut Yellow Label $54.95.
And for those who prefer their sunshine a little more edible, try this delicious Lemon Tart.
2. Roll pastry between sheets of baking paper until large enough to line a shallow (2cm-deep) 24cm-round loose-based flan tin. Lift pastry into tin; press into side, trim edge. Cover; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
4. Place flan tin on an oven tray. Line pastry case with baking paper, fill with dried beans or rice. Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Remove paper and beans; bake for about 10 minutes or until browned lightly.
5. Lemon filling: Meanwhile, whisk ingredients in a medium bowl; stand for 5 minutes.
6; Reduce oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Pour Lemon Filling into pastry case; bake for about 30 minutes or until filling has set slightly, cool. Refrigerate until cold.
7. Just before serving, dust tart with sifted icing sugar and serve with whipped cream.
Pastry can be made up to two days ahead. It can be stored in the refrigerator or frozen for two months.